Polish Connection

Have a question? Call me 58 727 05 55

Monday - Friday 0800 - 1600

Have a question? Call me 58 727 05 55 Monday - Friday 0800 - 1600

Polish Connection / FAQ


1. Coming to Norway - where to start?

If this is your first job in Norway and you have received a contract of employment for less than 3 months, you must apply for a tax deduction card (Norw. skattekort) for foreign workers. The tax deduction card will be issued together with your Norwegian national identity number (the so-called D-nummer or Fødselsnummer). However, if you have a contract of employment for more than 3 months, you will also have to apply for a residence and work permit in Norway.

2. What is the difference between D-nummer and Fødselsnummer?

Persons who have received a contract of employment in Norway can apply for a D-nummer (a temporary identification number). The number is assigned together with the tax deduction card.

Fødselsnummer (national identification number) may be assigned to persons with a contract of employment for more than 6 months who have reported a relocation to Norway.

3. Kildeskatt or 25% withholding tax

In 2019, the Norwegian tax office introduced the so-called 25% withholding tax – KILDESKATT.

It is granted to foreigners holding a temporary personal number. Persons granted such a tax deduction card will no longer be able to settle accounts with the tax office, and thus benefit from deductions. In addition, tax is paid on salaries as well as on additional benefits from the employer such as travel and accommodation.

4. Restricted logging on the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration’s (NAV’s) website (https://www.nav.no) using MinID codes

In order to have a full access to your profile on NAV website and to be able, among other things, to correspond with the authorities or apply for an allowance you should be a user of BankID, Buypass or Nets Passport Reader app (higher level of logging in). If you only have MinID codes, you will not be able to use your electronic profile in full. Such a change has been introduced for the sake of security of your data in the network.

5. Meldekort- what is it?

If you are registered with NAV as a job-seeker, you are required to send electronic notification cards every 14 days. This is how you inform the office, e.g. whether you have recently attended any courses, been ill or worked on a casual basis, as well as whether you still want to be registered as
a job-seeker. This is one of the activities that are mandatory for people receiving unemployment benefit (Norw. Dagpenger or permittering) and work assessment allowance.

6. Do I qualify for sickness benefit from Norway?

In order to be entitled to Norwegian sickness benefit, you must, among other things, have worked for your current employer for at least 1 month, which is one of the main conditions. An accident at work constitutes an exception. Then, the allowance is due even after the first day worked.

7. Is the sick leave issued in another EEA country recognised in Norway?

Yes, the sick leave issued in another EEA country is equivalent to that from Norway, provided that it is transferred to NAV in an appropriate manner. The time of examining a foreign sick leave can even be as long as 6 to 8 months.

8. Is it possible to receive sick leave during the notice period?

Yes. The employer is obliged to pay sick leave until the end of the period of notice (for a maximum of the first 16 days). Further payments are borne by NAV.  Unfortunately, in such a situation, NAV is entitled to carry out stricter assessments of the situation of the patient.

9. Can I register for permittering (lay-off) while staying on sick leave?

A person on sick leave is not allowed to receive neither lay-off (norw. Permittering) nor unemployment benefit (norw. dagpenger). It is only after the termination of sick leave that you can apply for the above-mentioned benefits.

10. What to do if NAV has not paid sickness benefit?

If you have been on sick leave for more than 16 days, several months have passed and you still have not received a decision on your allowance, it is worth contacting the office to ask what steps are being taken regarding your case. You can do it by phone or in writing. Do you need help? Contact our office.

11. Is it possible for Polish Connection to make a phone call to NAV on my behalf?

Yes, we provide such a service. However, if you are not able to come to our office, it is necessary to prepare an authorisation which has to be registered by NAV.

12. Which of the following forms of insurance should be chosen: S1 form (formerly E106/E109 form) or the European Health Insurance Card?

The main difference between the S1 form and the European Health Insurance Card is that the former entitles to full reimbursement in your country of residence, while the latter will only work in cases of emergency and will not cover scheduled visits to the doctor or pre-scheduled treatments.

13. Is it necessary for the documentation sent to NAV to be translated?

Handwritten documents must be translated into Norwegian or English (no sworn translation is required). It is necessary to send a copy of the translation and of the Polish version of the document.

Computer-written documents do not have to be translated, nevertheless in such an event, the period of examining the case may be extended by about 1.5 months.

14. Pregnancy and sick leave

In Norway, if a pregnant woman does not suffer from any additional ailments, but at the same time, continuing to work could have an adverse effect on the child, she should not take sick leave. She may apply for pregnancy benefit (Norw. svangerskapspenger) instead. It is granted if the employer is not able to find her other harmless job. The decision on the benefit is made in consultation with the physician who fills in some part of the application (the second part is filled in by the employer). Pregnancy benefit can be collected up to 3 weeks before the birth.

15. Is it possible to extend the period during which the attendance allowance (nor. Pleiepenger) is collected?

If a child suffers from a life-threatening illness or sustains an injury as a result of which he requires constant care, the total period during which the attendance allowance is collected may be extended up to 10 years.

16. Is it possible to postpone the collection of paternity allowance until later?

Yes, it is possible. It is best to do this a few weeks before the seventh week following the birth of the child in order not to lose the full benefit period. However, it is important that during the period of postponement, the mother of the child/children should work.

17. What should be kept in mind when leaving Norway?

Persons who have been working in Norway for more than 6 months should report their departure to the relevant authorities and remember to resign from benefits as well as update their address for correspondence. If you have a bank account in Norway, you should consider closing it, as it may be difficult to arrange this procedure after having left the country, without being physically present.